Search This Blog

Sunday 2 May 2010

Hymn to Thoth


Recite,

Thoth, son of Re, moon, of beautiful rising, lord of appearing, light of the gods, hail to you, moon, Thoth, bull in Khmun, dweller in Hesret, who makes way for the gods! O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

Who knows the secrets, who records their expression, who distinguishes one speech from another,
who is judge of everyone! O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

Keen-faced in the ship-of-millions, courier of humankind, who knows a man by his utterance, who makes the deed rise against the doer! O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

Who contents Re, advises the sole lord, lets him know whatever happens; at dawn he summons in heaven, and forgets not yesterday’s report! O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

Who makes safe the night-bark, makes tranquil the day-bark, with arms outstretched in the bow of the ship. O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

Pure-faced when he takes the stern-rope, as the day-bark rejoices in the night-bark’s joy, at the feast of crossing the sky. O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

Who fells the fiend, the ennead in the night-bark worship you lord Thoth, they say to you: “Hail, son of Re, praised of Re, whom the gods applaud!” O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

They repeat what your ka wishes, as you make way for the place of the bark, as you act against that fiend: you cut off his head, you break his ba, you cast his corpse in the fire, you are the god who slaughters him! O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

Nothing is done without your knowing, great one, son of a great one, who came from her limbs, champion of Harakhti, wise friend in On, who makes the place of gods, who knows the secrets, expounds their words! O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

I give praise to you, Thoth, straight plummet in the scales, who repulses evil, who accepts him who learns not on crime! O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

The vizier who settles cases, who changes turmoil to peace; the scribe of the mat who keeps the book, who punishes crime, who accepts the submissive! O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

Wise among the ennead, who relates what was forgotten. O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

Counsellor to him who errs, who remembers the fleeting moment, who reports the hour of night, whose words endure forever, who enter dat, knows those in it,
and records them in the list! O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

Thoth, son of Re, moon, you who distinguished the tongue of every foreign land, you who recalls all that has been forgotten, you who balances the scales, scribe of the gods, lord of the books, counter of the stars, lord of magic! Hail to you Ibis-headed one, who knows all secrets, great is your word! O Thoth, you I adore, you I invoke!

A royal offering to you, Thoth, lord of writing, lord of Khmun, who determines maat, who embarks Re in the night-bark. May you hear your suppliant’s mystic praise.

I am the righteous one towards the courtiers, if a wrong is told me, my tongue is skilled to set it right. I am the recorder of royal laws, who gives directions to the courtiers, wise in speech, there is nothing I ignore. I am the adviser to the gods, who teaches man his course, without forgetting my charge. I am the one who reports to the lord of the two lands, who speaks of whatever was forgotten, who does not ignore the words of the lord. For I am a just one of god since being on earth, I satisfy him maat every day. I have shunned wrongdoing before him, I never did evil since my birth; indeed I am a gentle one before god, one wise, one calm, who listens to maat. May I always be in the crew of the neshmet-bark, at its feast in the region of Peqer. I am the herald of the council, who does not ignore the plans of his majesty.

For I am Thoth, son of Re, iah-Djehuty, the moon god, Sheps, lord of Khemennu, Asten, Khenti, Mehi, Hab, and A'an. I am the one who distinguished the tongue of every foreign land, who recalls all that has been forgotten, who balances the scales, scribe of the gods, lord of the books, counter of the stars, lord of magic! For I am he who is like the ibis, who knows all secrets, great is my word!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.