Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 November 2010

The Rite of Eros and Myrrh


 Whilst offering myrrh over coals recite,

You are Myrrh, the bitter, the difficult, who reconciles combatants, who sears and who forces those to love who do not acknowledge Eros. Everyone calls you Myrrh, but I call you flesh-eater and inflamer of the heart. I am not sending you to far-off Arabia; I am not sending you to Babylon, but I am sending you to her[1], whose mother is[2], so that you may serve me on the mission to her, so that you may attract her to me. If she is sitting, let her not keep sitting; if she is chatting with someone, let her not keep chatting; if she is gazing at someone, let her not keep gazing at someone.; if she is going to someone, let her not keep going; if she is strolling about, let her not keep strolling about; if she is drinking, let her not keep drinking; if she is eating, let her not keep eating; if she is kissing someone, let her not keep kissing him; if she is enjoying pleasure, let her not keep enjoying it; if she is sleeping, let her not keep sleeping. Rather, let her hold me,[3], alone in her mind; let her desire me alone; let her love me alone; let her do all my wishes. Do not enter through her eyes or through her side or through her nails or even through her navel or through her frame, but rather through her soul. And remain in her heart and burn her guts, her breast, her liver, her breath, her bones, her marrow, until she comes to me,[4], loving me, and until she fulfils all my wishes, because I adjure you, Myrrh, by the three names, ΑΝΟΧΩ ΑΒΡΑΣΑΞ ΤΡΩ, and by the more coercive and stronger names, ΚΟΡΜΕΙΩΘ ΙΑΩ ΣΑΒΑΩΘ ΑΔΩΝΑΙ, so that you may carry out my desires, Myrrh. As I burn you up and you are potent, so burn the brain of her,[5], whom I love/desire/yearn for[6]. Inflame her and turn her guts inside out, suck out her blood drop by drop, until she comes to me. I adjure you by ΜΑΡΠΑΡΚΟΥΡΙΘ ΝΑΣΑΑΡΙ ΝΑΙΕΜΑΡΕ ΠΑΙΠΑΡΙ ΝΕΚΟΥΡΙ. I throw you into the burning fire and adjure you by the almighty god who lives forever. Having adjured you I now also adjure you, ΑΔΩΝΑΙ ΒΑΡΒΑΡ ΙΑΩ ΖΑΓΟΥΡΗ ΗΑΡΣΑΜΩΣΙ ΑΛΑΟΥΣ and ΣΑΛΑΩΣ. I adjure you who strengthened man for life. Hear, hear, great god, O Adonaios, ΕΘΗΥΙΑ, self-gendering, everlasting god, ΕΙΩΗ ΙΑΩ ΑΙΩ ΦΝΕΩΣ ΣΦΙΝΤΗΣ ΑΡΒΑΘΙΑΩ ΙΑΩ ΙΑΗ ΙΩΑ ΑΙ, who are ΟΥΗΡ ΓΟΝΘΙΑΩΡ ΡΑΡΑΗΛ ΑΒΡΑ ΒΡΑΧΑ ΣΟΡΟΟΡΜΕΡΦΕΡΓΑΡ ΜΑΡΒΑΦΡΙΟΥΙΡΙΓΞ ΙΑΩ ΣΑΒΑΩΘ ΜΑΣΚΕΛΛΙ ΜΑΣΚΕΛΛΩ ΑΜΟΝΣΩΕ ΑΝΟΧ ΡΙΓΧ ΦΝΟΥΚΕΝΤΑΒΑΩΘ ΣΟΥΣΑΕ ΦΙΝΦΕΣΗΧ ΜΑΦΙ ΡΑΡ ΑΝΟΥΡΙΝ ΙΒΑΝΑΩΘ ΑΡΟΥΗΡ ΧΝΟΥΦ ΑΝΟΧ ΒΑΘΙ ΟΥΧ ΙΑΡΒΑΣ ΒΑΒΑΥΒΑΡ ΕΛΩΑΙ. Attract for me her,[7], whose mother is, [8], to me,[9], on the very day, on this night, at this very hour, ΜΟΥΛΩΘ ΦΟΦΙΘ ΦΘΩΙΘ ΦΘΩΥΘ ΠΕΝΙΩΝ. I call upon you also who hold the fire, ΦΘΑΝ ΑΝΟΧ; give heed to me, O one, only-begotten, ΜΑΝΕΒΙΑ ΒΑΙΒΑΙ ΧΥΡΙΡΩΟΥ ΘΑΔΕΙΝ ΑΔΩΝΑΙ ΕΡΟΥ ΝΟΥΝΙ ΜΙΩΩΝΧ ΧΟΥΤΙΑΙ ΜΑΡΜΑΡΑΥΩΘ. Attract her,[10], whose mother is, [11], to me,[12], now, now; immediately, immediately; quickly, quickly!


[1] You are to state her name.
[2] You are to state her mother’s name.
[3] You are to state your name or title.
[4] You are to state your name or title.
[5] You are to state her name.
[6] You are to choose the appropriate one according to your intentions and feelings.
[7] You are to state her name.
[8] You are to state her mother’s name.
[9] You are to state your name or title.
[10] You are to state her name.
[11] You are to state her mother’s name.
[12] You are to state your name or title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.